My Introduction to MASNA :)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Introduction to MASNA :)

Hello everyone, my name is Kevin Kramer and I have been a reefer since 12/26/07. Ever since a young age I have been obsessed by fish, in fact my first word was "ish". Almost four years ago for my 11th birthday I got a 29 gallon tank, which I made freshwater. One year later I got two turtles, the Christmas of this same year I got my first 29 gallon bio-cube. Now in the beginning my goal was to just be able to keep fish, it is hard to believe that 2.5 years ago I didn't know what live-rock was. One week after having my tank setup I bought my first saltwater fish a yellow tail damsel. About a month later I bought an occy I named him Nemo. I began to fill my tank with other various fish (royal gramma, green mandarin, and a sixline wrasse). I have always been obsessed with cleaner shrimp ever since I saw the movie "Finding Nemo". One day I was searching criagslist and I happened upon a cleaner shrimp for $5, being short on cash I went to the guys house and got the cleaner shrimp(There was a guy moving to Flordia and he was getting rid of everything). Although when there is something that cheap there is going to be other stuff too. While I was there I decided to buy his kole tang, his mated pair of gold-stripe maroon clownfish, and his bubble-tip anemone. My 29 gallon biocube didn't have the lighting to keep the anemone alive so I moved the freshwater fish into a 10 gallon, threw the tang into the biocube, and setup a 29 gallon tank for the clowns and anemone. One week later on 12/26/10 I picked up the anemone and clowns and brought them home to their temporary home. Needless to say I was still a newbie at this time so the tang got ich and killed every fish in my biocube except for the sixline wrasse. I was so depressed that I was about to quit the hobby but I looked at the clowns and knew that if I was going to say in this hobby than I would have to learn everything that I could. Several months went by and I convinced my dad that I needed a larger tank so we bought a 135 gallon tank on eBay. We got it setup and in May of 2009 I moved the clowns and the anemone into the tank. I slowly began to buy new fish and corals and my tank was coming along nicely. Then in June of 2009 my clowns laid eggs, I knew that this would happen but I had heard that there would be no way that the eggs would be fertile. Then in September my clowns laid eggs in a terracotta pot and I decided that I would try to raise the larvae. I came in contact with Tal Sweet (fishtal) in July I knew that he lived in Waterford but I didn't want to be a pest, finally in September I met Tal. It turned out that he lives two minutes away from me (and that's the walk), I was able to raise my larvae to 3 days which is really bad. Finally on my second try I got one clown to make it through metamorphosis. My third I got 20 to live. My fourth I got 13 to live. Then the clowns stopped laying. I am happy to say that I have sever seven month old juveniles who are starting to get their gold stripes. Now the clowns restarted laying last month and I currently have 300+ larvae that are four days old.
    This year I will be attending the MMC and I'm going to try to attend MACNA. I hope that everyone knows a bit more about me now.

RE: My Introduction to MASNA

Welcome to MASNA, Kevin!!

Sounds like you have been very busy with your fish efforts. Excellent resource to have Tal two mins away. It's great to have another breeder so close to you to help support each other.

Keep us posted on your babies.

Comment

Ok that should be easy to do . I have 200 larvae to day 5 right now. And my cleaner shrimp spawned two days ago, I find this crazy since my new shrimp was only in the tank for four days before the spawn. I'll keep everyone as posted as I can. Thanks for the welcome .

Comment

Hi everyone!

I am new to this site! Hope I can learn something here.

Comment

Hi everyone!!

i am also new to this forum i recently have a 34gal solana cycling im not new to saltwater had a 30gal running about 9 years ago wasnt able to afford it back we i was young now im abit older i have finally came back in to the hobby that i love so much.
          and hey fishboy13 i read your post and see that you have maroon clown baby was wondering if you are selling them i would like to buy a couple off you but thats only if you live in Toronto if so please contact im excited about those clowfishes.

Marowana

Comment

Working...
          X