Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mantis Shrimp Research

Hi Everyone,

I'm sure you've all heard about how awesome mantis shrimp are. They have the fastest punch in the animal kingdom and also the most complex visual system. They actually have up to 16 visual pigments (humans have 3), can see UV, infrared, polarised and visible light and are the only animals that are known to see circularly polarised light. They also can perceive depth with just one eye and move each eye independently. This system is absolutely fascinating and there has been quite a lot of research into how mantis shrimp can see. However, surprisingly, there has been very little research into what they are using this vision for. It is likely that they communicate using complex visual signals and may even have a 'secret language' (using circularly polarised light). To understand the complex world of stomatopod vision and communication, we need to perform behavioural research. I have already started a project to research communication in mantis shrimp, however I need your help! To ensure my experiments actually represent how mantis shrimp behave in the wild, I need to perform my research in the wild. Thus, I am currently raising research money to fund a trip to Belize (the mantis shrimp with fantastic eyesight are only tropical species). I would love it if you could check out my project page here: www.microryza.com/mantisshrimp

Thanks so much for your time & I'm happy to answer any questions.

Feel free to check out my blog or twitter for more info.

Amanda

neptunesnecklace.wordpress.com
    @neptsnecklace

RE: Mantis Shrimp Research

Donated. It looks like you're getting close to your funding goal. Good luck. I'm looking forward to seeing how this project progresses and your reports.
    Tom (WAMAS Membership Director)

Comment

it got my attention and i want to learn more about it. San Antonio Movers

Comment

Amanda, I just received an email indicating that your project is now fully funded. Congratulations. Hopefully, this post of yours on MASNA's website has helped build the interest that put you over the top. Good luck with your work.

Tom

Comment

As someone who really wanted to get into the hobby based on Mantis - this is really exciting - took me 3 years before I felt I could home one. As of right now - all I have is a JBJ 12g with a smasher - love him to death

Rock on - please keep me posted - this is so exciting!

Comment

Working...
          X