Entering the Industry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Entering the Industry

I have been tossing around the idea of opening an aquarium supply store for some time. I was wondering if anyone has some success stories or stories that may display some pitfalls that I should consider before diving into this.
    Thanks

Re: Entering the Industry

Have you ever worked in an aquarium retail store before? If not, I would definitely get some experience first and see if it is really for you. I would also review everything I could on the business subweb of www.WetWebMedia.com

Comment

I was thinking of beginning an online supply store. No livestock but just as a distribution point for supplies. I have some expericance with business as I have been in banking working in lending and treasury management and I wanted to take a shot of my own. I will take a look at the websites. Thanks!

Comment

Being an owner of 2 full line pet stores in the past, I would agree with the suggestion of working, even part time or weekends, for a while in a store to give yourself some product knowledge. It may be as easy as ordering some products and opening an online store but I doubt it. You need to develop an understanding of how this industry works and also the products to choose so you don't end up with a garage full of aquarium products you like but may not apeal to others. If you decide to proceed, good luck in your endever and may you prosper.

Comment

MarineScene Winter 2002
          MarineScene Summer 2002

I agree with both Steven and Fisher12 about getting experience and going to WetWebMedia to find out more.

Recently, I came across the above 2-part articles written by the owner of WetWebMedia; Bob Fenner. And while these articles were written several years ago, the info and advise he gives is timeless. Bob has been in all aspects of this industry since the early 1970's!

The above urls are parts 1 and 2 titled "Sucessfull Pet Business Series"

Comment

Working...
          X