MASNA Public Relations & Membership Coordinator (Contractor)
Organization: Marine Aquarium Societies of North America (MASNA)
Type of Service Provided: Contractor, Hourly, 20 hours / week average over a year.
Contractor Requirement: Must be eligible to work in the United States of America, be able to travel nationally.
Primary Location: Open, continental United States
Educational Requirement: Marketing / other applicable four-year degree, or equivalent experience.
Experience: 1-3 years in marketing, public relations, and customer relations.
Travel: Up to 10 days / year
Pay: $17.50/hr, reimbursed travel, paid bi-monthly
Deadline: Feb 23, 2018
MASNA is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization composed of marine aquarium clubs, individual hobbyists, and industry partners from North America and abroad, totaling several thousand individuals. MASNA’s goals are to: • Educate our members with online and published material, the MACNA conference, and other sanctioned events • Assist in forming and promoting the growth of clubs within the hobby while ensuring a sustainable future for the marine environment • Support the efforts to eliminate abuses in collecting and transporting marine organisms through education, assistance and encouragement • Encourage the ethical growth of the marine aquarium hobby and support captive breeding/propagation efforts. Read more at: masna.org/aboutus
The Marine Aquarium Conference of North America (MACNA) is the oldest marine aquarium conference in North America. MACNA is held annually, and typically sees over 3,000 attendees. MACNA is a combination of several events. MACNA is an educational symposium where people can attend lectures from industry leaders, conservationists, authors, and scientists. MACNA is a trade show, where hobbyists can buy the hottest new corals and see new cutting edge equipment. Attendees can also give their feedback to manufacturers so manufacturers can continue to bring us the innovations that continue to advance our industry. Lastly, MACNA is a social event. Many speakers, vendors, and hobbyists come to socialize with one another. It gives all of us an opportunity to put faces with names they might see on a message board, email, or even YouTube.
The MASNA Public Relations & Membership Coordinator will be in charge of MASNA’s communication with our members and conference attendees. This will be conducted through connecting through electronic, print, and in-person methods. This selected applicant must be good with people of all types and backgrounds, and be able to communicate MASNA’s beliefs to them.
- Manage communication with MASNA members and MACNA attendees
- Monthly emails for MASNA members & MACNA attendees
- Coordinate & maintain MASNA & MACNA social media profiles
- Respond to enquiries from the public, members, or attendees within 3 business days.
- Edits, implements, and maintains, media, PR, print, and digital ad campaigns for MASNA and MACNA.
- Works with graphic artist on creation and distribution of marketing, sponsorship prospectus, program book, registration and onsite educational materials for MASNA and MACNA.
- Formats and maintains implementation of MASNA and conference style guides by working with the MASNA board, MASNA staff, and other contractors.
- Follows through on the marketing communications plan including strategy, goals, budget, and tactics, including a media relations strategy, seeking placements in print, online video, audio, and social media. Leverage existing media relationships and cultivate new contacts within business and industry media.
- Plan, implement, and manage all annual conference and MASNA promotional material, advertising, and branding for signage and directionals, including electronic boards.
- Promote & participate in online discussion regarding MASNA and MACNA news & updates in social media, and online forums.
- Format & organize content for annual MACNA app
- Format branding guide and messages for annual MACNAs
- Implement, and maintain MASNA & MACNA related contests with media partners, and on social media
- Creates content for press releases, byline articles and keynote presentations.
- Monitor, analyze, and communicate PR results on a monthly basis. Evaluates opportunities for partnerships, sponsorships and advertising on an ongoing basis.
- Maintain a keen understanding of industry trends affecting members, business partners, and conference exhibitors, and makes appropriate recommendations regarding communication strategy surrounding them.
- Responsible for any and all other results that might be periodically or permanently assigned by the MASNA President or inline superiors.
- Prepare and present, if necessary, reports to MACNA sub-committees.
- Responsible for reviewing website to ensure all meeting and event information is accurate.
- Maintain a cooperative and close working relationship with staff, members, committees and boards.
- Experience promoting and following through with media campaigns
- Experience in customer service
- Experience in public relations and press release creation
- Experience working in a remote work environment
- Experience creating and maintaining MailChimp Automation
- Experience working with other contractors to complete tasks.
- Experience in aquarium keeping
- Experience in creating and maintaining Salesforce Support Cloud workflow rules
- Knowledge of marine conservation issues
Suggested Software tools:
- Microsoft Office Suite / or similar
- Adobe suite
- Gmail / Google Drive / Google Docs
- Salesforce Service Cloud
- phpBB forum post creation & replies
- AMember membership software
- Professional growth opportunities available after 1 year.
- This position provides the opportunity for domestic travel to the MACNA location and other possible events. This is estimated not to exceed 10 days per year.
Total remuneration package:
- $17.50/hr as 1099 contractor paid bi-monthly.
- Reimbursed travel & accommodation.
- 20 hours / week average over a year (10 – 20 hours / week from Oct – Jan, 15 – 25 hours / week Feb – June, 20 – 30 hours / week July – Sept, 40 hours a week during MACNA). This is an estimate, not a guarantee that this workload will continue through each pay period.
How to Submit Interest:
Submission is closed.
In addition to your personal information, we will need the following:
- Cover Letter: Let MASNA know why you and your company should be considered. Specify what your work for MASNA will achieve. Tell us how you are creative, and can bring that creativity to MASNA. Finally, let us know how you have previously shared the mission statement and goals of your previous employers and clients. Submit as PDF
- Resume: Please provide a resume of your work and education history pertaining to this job description. Submit as PDF.
- Portfolio of previous work: Provide examples of situations where you assisted in public relations and membership coordination. Use numbers to show the impact of your work and demonstrate real results. Submit as PDF, four pages max.
- Contact information for three references.
For more information about the Marine Aquarium Conference of North America (MACNA) visit our website at MACNA.org
For more information about the Marine Aquarium Societies of North America (MASNA) visit our website at MASNA.org