MASNA is a non-profit organization composed of marine aquarium clubs, individual hobbyists, and industry partners from North America and abroad, totaling several thousand individuals.
MASNA’s Goals are to:
- Educate our members with online and published material, the MACNA conference, and other sanctioned events
- Assist in forming and promoting the growth of clubs within the hobby while ensuring a sustainable future for the marine environment
- Support the efforts to eliminate abuses in collecting and transporting marine organisms through education, assistance and encouragement
- Encourage the ethical growth of the marine aquarium hobby and support captive breeding/propagation efforts
Introducing the MASNA Charter. This charter is in addition to MASNA’s goals and mission, and outlines our beliefs for our members and the marine aquarium industry. MASNA members and sponsors agree with the MASNA Charter and agree to conduct their actions and behaviors according to the charter.
- MASNA members support and promote their local marine aquarium club;
- MASNA members agree to promote and support captive breeding / propagation efforts within the marine aquarium hobby;
- MASNA members only trade in marine ornamental organisms that are legal in their location and respect their local, national and international laws;
- MASNA members agree to prevent the release of marine ornamental organisms into the wild;
- MASNA members are encouraged to use the correct scientific name of each species when communicating with others;
- MASNA members support the sustainable collection of wild collected animals through the most environmentally ethical ways possible and condemn the use of cyanide and dynamite collection techniques;
- MASNA members promote the respectful trade and handling of marine ornamental organisms which includes the recognition of proper packing and transportation of these organisms in accordance with national and international laws;
- MASNA members keep the health of aquatic organisms in mind by providing the proper water quality, feeding schedule, treatments, and environments;
- MASNA members use the latest peer reviewed science to support their position and educational documents; and,
- MASNA members’ actions are always inline with MASNA’s goals.
MASNA operates from a central Board of Directors elected each year by the delegates from the member societies at the Marine Aquarium Conference of North America, (MACNA).
In our efforts to ensure a sustainable future for marine environments and the marine aquarium hobby. MASNA provides its members:
- Access to a speaker database
- An annual conference (MACNA) and logistical support for host clubs
- Material resources to help conduct club business and found new clubs
- A large repository of educational resource materials
- Partnerships with funding and conservation organizations, fellowship opportunities, volunteer activities, and a scholarship fund
- Links, partnerships and resources to existing breeding and aquaculture facilities and organizations
- Practical tips for saving the world’s oceans from within the hobby and through personal action
- A collective voice in national and international initiatives
- Strategies, resources and online materials to improve husbandry, aquarium keeping and reduce mortality
- Large resources for conservation related activities and information
Each year MASNA’s Board of Directors and members select a Member Club from across North America to host the annual Marine Aquarium Conference of North America (MACNA). MACNA offers beginning and advanced hobbyists the opportunity to speak directly with the expert speakers, participate in hands-on worskhiops, and to gain first hand knowledge of procedures and techniques. It also serves as a social reunion for hobbyists and business acquaintances in addition to showcasing an extensive tradeshow of exhibitors.
MASNA also provides assistance and input to MACNA host clubs to help ensure the continued twenty eight year tradition of successful conferences. This event has evolved into the premier conference of the year and consists of presentations by world-renowned hobby leaders, scientists, and other experts.
We could not accomplish any of this without your support .